| || ||
:: The Teck Cominco Environmental Award
This award was created by Teck Cominco in order to promote innovation and development in the field of environmental control technology for the metallurgical industry in Canada. Future advances in the industry depend on the development of environmentally safe technologies. The award recognizes significant contributions to the field of environmental science and engineering and sustainable development in the metallurgical industry.
The Metallurgical Society of CIM administers the award. The award can be given to an individual or a group of individuals.
Conditions of Award
- The award shall be made from time to time as circumstances warrant in recognition of highly significant contributions to the advancement of environmental engineering and science as it relates to the metallurgical industry in Canada.
- No more than one award may be made in any one year.
- The adjudication of the award shall be made by the Awards Committee of the Metallurgical Society of CIM.
- All nominations for the award shall be made by not fewer than five (5) Members of the Institute, and shall be forwarded to the Chair of the Environment Committee of the Metallurgical Society of CIM not later than February 1st of each year. Each nomination is to be accompanied by a statement giving clearly the reasons, which in the opinion of the nominators, make the nominee or nominees suitable for this award. The Chair of the Environment Committee will advise the Awards Committee of MetSoc on the merits of the candidates.
- Recipients must be CIM members (5 years minimum) and:
a. Canadian Citizens resident anywhere, or
b. Canadian residents of any Nationality provided the
contribution is to the benefit of Canada.
- The Awards Committee of the Society shall submit its recommendation for approval by the Board of Directors of the Society at the Spring Meeting. The Chair of the Awards Committee will then advise the awardee or awardees.
- Nominees shall remain in nomination for three years (year of nomination plus the two following years), and at the end of that period shall be eligible for renomination.
- The award, including the testimonial, should be presented at one of the official functions of the Conference of Metallurgists by a representative of Teck Cominco and/or the Chairman of the Environment Committee of the Metallurgical Society of CIM.
- The Environment Committee may elect to invite the recipient or a representative of the group to deliver a special lecture during the Conference of Metallurgists.