| || ||
:: The Airey Award
The award is a memorial to the late H.T. Airey, who played a role of fundamental importance in the creation and organization of the Annual Conference of Metallurgists for the Metallurgical Society of CIM. This award is supported by the Noranda Group of companies in recognition of highly significant contributions to the advancement of metallurgy in Canada.
The Airey Award should be seen as:
- The most prestigious award in Canadian metallurgy.
- Recognition of a career contribution or an outstanding individual contribution based on at least 15 years of input.
Contribution to Canadian metallurgy can include:
- Research and development leadership
- Research and development contribution
- Development of processes
- Technological leadership
- Industrial leadership fostering a climate resulting in major technological development
Conditions of Award
- The award shall be made from time to time as circumstances warrant in recognition of highly significant contributions to the advancement of metallurgy in Canada.
- The sections prepare the Nomination Papers for candidate(s) of their choice and/or
Any five (5) MetSoc members in good standing can prepare a nomination of an individual of their choice.
- No more than one award may be made in any one year.
- The recipient must have a minimum of 5 years MetSoc membership.
- The recipient must be a Canadian citizen resident anywhere or a Canadian resident of any nationality provided the contribution has been made to Canadian metallurgy.
a. The sections prepare the Nomination Papers for candidate(s) of their choice, and/or
b. Any five (5) MetSoc members in good standing can prepare a nomination of an individual of their choice.
- Completed nominations are forwarded to the Chairman of the Awards Committee (2nd Vice President of MetSoc) not later than February 1st of each year.
- Each nomination is to be accompanied by a statement giving clearly the reasons which, in the opinion of the nominators, make their nominee a suitable candidate.
- The Awards Committees recommendation is presented to the Spring MetSoc Board Meeting for approval. After Board approval, the Awards Committee of the Society will advise the recipient of the award.
- The award, including the testimonial, should be presented at one of the official functions of the Conference of Meallurgists.
A nomination stands for three (3) years.