| || ||
:: Changes in Management at Xstrata Copper
Further to the announcement by Xstrata plc ("Xstrata") on 14 January 2004 regarding the formation of a single global copper business, the Chief Executive of Xstrata Copper, Charlie Sartain announces the new senior management team of the business.
The new structure and appointments reflect a desire to increase accountability within discrete business entities, in order to apply the best and most relevant skills to each component of the business and to achieve greater empowerment at the operational level for Xstrata Copper's North Queensland operations.
The changes to the team, effective immediately, are as follows:
- Brian Hearne, General Manager McArthur River Mine, will report to Santiago Zaldumbide, Chief Executive of Xstrata Zinc. The McArthur River feasibility study project, now well advanced, will be managed by Xstrata Zinc. As a result, Terry Smith, currently General Manager Projects, will be leaving the Group.
- Steve de Kruijff, formerly General Manager Ernest Henry Mining, will assume the new position of General Manager Mount Isa Copper Operations. Jon Evans, currently the head of mining operations at Alumbrera, will replace Steve at Ernest Henry. Kevin Hendry, formerly General Manager Mining Copper Mount Isa, will assume the new position of General Manager Mount Isa Zinc Lead Operations. As a result, Bob Fulker, currently General Manager Mining Lead Zinc Mount Isa, will be leaving the Group. The former position of Operations General Manager Mount Isa held by Tony McPaul has been made redundant and Tony will be leaving the Group.
- John Coldham, currently Manager Group Purchasing for Xstrata Copper Australia, will take up the new position of General Manager Administration and Services based in Mount Isa. John will have overall responsibility for IT, procurement, general administration and materials logistics for our Queensland businesses. As a consequence of his appointment, Ross Willis, currently General Manager Business Services Mount Isa, will be leaving the Group.
- Hugh Callaghan joins the team as General Manager Commercial with responsibility for product logistics, business strategy and business development in Australia, as well as our global product marketing and shipping.
- Effective early February 2004, Pierre Vix will join Xstrata Copper from outside the Group and will be responsible for the Mount Isa metallurgical plants and the Townsville operations. In the interim, Ian Kennedy, currently Acting General Manager Metallurgical Plants Mount Isa, will retain responsibility for the Isa smelters. Steve Allard, currently General Manager Townsville Operations will leave the Group at the end of January.
- In Australia, Steve Best and Neal O'Connor will continue in their current roles as CFO Australia and General Counsel Australia respectively. In addition, David Hodgson will continue in his role as GM Human Resources Australia, Peter Forrestal will continue as GM Technical Development and Glen Croft as GM Group Maintenance Support.