| || ||
Each year the Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration (SME) makes as many as 25 scholarships available to SME student members for academic excellence. Students must be majoring in a field related to the minerals industry; they must be enrolled in their course of study; and they must have completed their sophomore year in college. Application dates differ for different scholarships. All, however, are accepted after enrollment in fall classes.
- Coal Division Scholarships: Available to students majoring in mining or mineral engineering programs that are accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET). Students also must be engaged in coal-related activities. Approximately 15 scholarships are awarded each year. The amount of each award (approximately $1,500) is designated by the SME Coal & Energy Division Executive Committee. The application deadline is October 30.
- Gerald V. Henderson Industrial Minerals Memorial Scholarship: Available to students enrolled in a regular course of study leading to a degree in geology, minerals engineering, mining engineering, or mineral economics. Scholarship amounts vary as the annual scholarship fund of $2,000 is apportioned to one or more students at the discretion of the SME Industrial Minerals Division Executive Committee. The application deadline is October 15.
- Environmental Division Scholarship: The Environmental Division annually awards one or more scholarships to promising college students who desire to develop their skills related to mining and the environment. The total amount of the award (approximately $2,000) is apportioned to one or more students at the discretion of the Division. A Scholarship may be awarded to a student(s) who is a member of SME, attending a college or university of his or her choice that provides a curriculum leading to an undergraduate degree related to mining and the environment and a faculty advisor with special interests in an environmentally-oriented program. The application deadline is October 30th.
- Eugene P. Pfleider Memorial Scholarship: The Mining and Exploration Division offers this memorial scholarship to students majoring in mining engineering. A single $1,000 scholarship is awarded each year. The application deadline is November 30.
- SME Mining & Exploration Division Scholarships: Available to students currently enrolled as an undergraduate in an ABET accredited minerals-related program majoring in mining, geology, or other field of specialization covered by the M&E Division's technical unit committees. Up to four scholarship awards may be given at $1,500 each at the discretion of the SME Mining and Exploration Division Executive Committee. The application deadline is November 30.
- Mineral & Metallurgical Processing Division Scholarships: Available to students enrolled in a college department that grants a degree in metallurgy or metallurgical engineering. The student must demonstrate interest in pursuing a career in mineral processing. The first place recipient receives a $2,000 award, plus expenses to the SME annual meeting and exhibition. In addition, as many as five $1,000 scholarships are awarded each year. The application deadline is October 7.
For applications or additional information, please contact: Edith Yoder